Tomorrow, on Shrove Tuesday, folk around the world will be flipping pancakes and enjoying toppings from lemon and sugar, to maple syrup and bacon! Pancake Day hails from the Christian tradition of using up food, such as milk and eggs, before starting 40 days fast for Lent.
Here at Barket Place, we don’t think your dogs should be left out of all the fun. So, we’ve put together one of our favourite, healthy pancake recipes for your dog. This recipe leaves the flour and sugar behind, replacing them with healthy ingredients such as spinach and banana. A great way to ensure your dog gets its five a day! Choose your own toppings, or try our suggestion below.
The pancake mixture
A large handful of fresh spinach.
2 free-roaming eggs
Coconut Oil for frying
Natural Peanut Butter
Make your pancakes
- Blitz up a handful of fresh spinach, or finely shred it by hand.
- Mash two bananas with a fork, then add in the spinach.
- Add two eggs to the mixture and whisk. You should be left with a fairly runny mixture – don’t worry about the odd lump of banana!
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil, or alternative, in a pan over medium heat.
- Add a ladleful of the pancake mixture to the pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side. Will you brave tossing the pancake?
- Top with your dog’s favourite toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!